Thursday, November 11, 2010

Heavens To Murgatroyd




I like when things are not what I expected. Eye openers that sneak attack. Bombshells of wonderment. Whether it’s a creation of my own or someone else’s, I like to have my ass kicked. Here are several things lately that have done as much.

Chow Truck (chowtruck.com)- If this was my last meal I would die of delight. K turned me onto this mobile cuisine that stops at spots all around the Salt Lake Valley. It’s technically a ‘roach coach’ with health enhancing, succulent & robust entrees. Seriously, the Panko Fried Tofu Tacos might be some of the best grub I have EVER (ever, ever) eaten. It is all SO tasty and affordable. Nothing on the menu is over $6! And ALWAYS get the Asian Spiced Root Chips to complement your order.

Nanowrimo (nanowrimo.org)- the month of November has been dubbed ‘National Novel Writing Month’ by some crazies from the bay area. Nanowrimo is thirty days of literary abandon. Participants begin writing on the first of November with the goal to have completed a 175 page novel ERR 50,000 words done by the 30th. This is my first year as an official accomplice and eleven days in I’m brutally behind. However, I do like what I’m writing. The fly by the seat of your pants storytelling angers the Virgo in me but it’s also engaging ideas in my brain that that have been comatose.

The Lazy Waves (Thelazywaves.com)- Fisch (danielmakesmusic.com) does amazing work and he continues to outstand. The Waves are a ‘Happy’ three-piece group without all that unimaginative cheer. ‘Happy’ in a soothing sort of way. Think ‘Tears For Fears’ over break beats. Their debut project of the same name is a hook filled chain reaction of sonic indie-airness. The lulling vocal talents of Mike Gross come together perfectly with the joyous melodies and assimilates into the sample-collaging of Daniel Fischer’s colorfully dense production. With textures of keyboard emphasis that are sprinkled in throughout the long play by Matt Glass, The Waves showcase the work of extremely commanding and intentional songwriters that flex their talents into new directions.

Chaos Walking Trilogy- If you think all YA fiction is supersaturated with emo-bity vampires or I could have thought of that tropes then think again. Patrick Ness has crafted a trilogy of books (I’m only halfway through the second, no spoilers!) that provide the reader with insight to human nature: compassion and cruelty, love and hatred, authoritarian and individualistic, honesty and deception. The read is engaging, entertaining and heavy with shocking revelations. He exposes the unsavory sides of man, much of which is offset by best of what humanity has to offer. Nothing can be anticipated or expected, new and unforeseen twists emerge to shock and surprise when you thought all possibilities have been exhausted. I REALLY enjoyed The Hunger Games trilogy I think Ness is a more accessible writer. The three books of Chaos Walking are: The Knife Of Never Letting Go, The Ask And The Answer & Monsters Of Men. Google them, you won’t be disappointed.

Peace, DAG!

No comments: